Nullifying 2nd Amendment: Smith & Wesson Victim Of California Regs

I wrote back in December about how the government can effectively neutralize the Second Amendment by economic sabotage of the country. People can have the right to bear arms and yet not be able to afford them due to government interference.

It seems the California government has launched a much more effective version of this strategy. Their regulations are so burdensome that, not only are guns more expensive, but gun sellers are giving up on the market. From Reason’s blog:

California's efforts to regulate firearms out of easy availability (an official summary of state gun regulations runs to 50 pages) continue to bear fruit, as Smith & Wesson announces that it's not willing to comply with the latest round of inane rules, effectively removing most of its pistols from the state's market. The specific bit of red tape pushing the company out is a requirement that new pistols (including modifications of existing firearms) incorporate controversial "microstamping" technology intended to leave unique markings on fired cases.

The microstamping is being exalted by liberals as a great new technology that can help solve gun crimes. The company released a statement that said in part:

Smith & Wesson does not and will not include microstamping in its firearms. A number of studies have indicated that microstamping is unreliable, serves no safety purpose, is cost prohibitive and, most importantly, is not proven to aid in preventing or solving crimes. The microstamping mandate and the company’s unwillingness to adopt this so-called technology will result in a diminishing number of Smith & Wesson semi-automatic pistols available for purchase by California residents.

The company has decided to not make any improvements or changes in its M&P Shield and the SDVE pistols. In this way it can still sell them in California without being required to “microstamp” them. But California residents will no longer be able to buy any of Smith and Wesson’s other lines.

The California government has successfully interfered in the market so that potential gun buyers have fewer choices. Smith and Wesson is forced to lose business as well. This should all be ruled unconstitutional since it is an obvious attack on the Second Amendment. But it will probably never be challenged in court.

350 thoughts on “Nullifying 2nd Amendment: Smith & Wesson Victim Of California Regs

1. Good for S&W, and good for the citizens of California, you reap what you sew.

2. richardwfaith says:

The only thing stopping me from buying a jackhammer and a crowbar to work on the San Andreas Fault and DUMP California into the ocean is that I have some dear friends in SOUTHERN California. Hmmm, I wonder if there's a way I could just chip off the area around Sacramento without posing a danger to my friends in the southern parts?

• Victor Magilke says:

I'm with you on that. I wouldn't mind seeing CA slide off into the Pacific Ocean but I have relatives living there.

• richardwfaith says:

For over 42 years I resided in California and was often a victim of its stupid laws and excessive taxes. When I finally left for Arizona, a serious pent-up urge to get out of California was DRIVING me!

• Victor Magilke says:

I have some friends in Arizona. They used to work for me. Arizona grows on you. I used to enjoy my visits.

3. I sincerely do hope they have the big one during a nation wide convention of Leftist and just slide off into the Pacific Ocean!!!! It would definitely be good riddance and it would create some real nice beach front property in Arizona!

4. The liberals in the Sacramento legislature will continue to attack our Second Amendment. I think we will see most if not all of gun manufacturing companies stop selling guns here if the "microprinting" of firing pin law continues. It needs to be repealed asap.

5. Victor Magilke says:

You have an ultraliberal legislature and a bisexual Governor. So what do you expect?
    As far as I'm concerned they can give it back to Mexico.

6. this is one of the many parts of total control by the Goverment

7. Note to Washington22: I figured it out. Go to making sure you leave off the comment number that will appear at the end of your current location, and you will see all the comments. When you go to the address that includes the comment number you will not see some other comments.

8. Bill Slawinski says:

Well then all the criminals will start using revolvers - that way no one will know who shot who - revolvers don't eject casings. You go Kalifornication...

• Criminals tend to not have that much sense. If they used revolvers they probably would dump on the street, and then reload. Knowledgeable people that use autoloaders tend to pick up their brass, since that represents half the cost of each round. I used to love 1911's because they're easy to work on and easy to accurize, but even for target shooting it's still a pain to look for all your brass. I got so turned off on autoloaders that I even sold the one I built up as a .22 rimfire.

9. The ILLEGAL government of these NON United States of America is coming for us..

How long are we going to allow them to take our freedoms away.. Why are we letting an ILLEGAL-ALIEN FROM KENYA taking our lives from us.. They are going to take all of Americans guns and enslave us, and WE THE PEOPLE don't seem to care..

I guess that is because we the people are no longer...