C’mon, media brethren… get into the battle here. Take in hidden cameras and other recording devices. The entire reason for the First Amendment is because the press is supposed to be the government’s worst enemy when officials are trying to hide or spin the truth. Do your duty to the country.
From National Review’s blog, The Corner: “HHS Will ‘Muzzle the Media’ During Tour of Immigrant Child Housing.”
Health and Human Services officials will allow reporters to visit a military facility housing some of the immigrant children who have arrived at the southern border in recent weeks, but only if the media promises not to record anything, not to ask any questions during the tour, and not to talk to any of the staff members or children.
“This violates the First Amendment,” Representative Jim Bridenstine (R., Okla.), who represents the congressional district containing the housing facility at Fort Sill, said of the HHS invitation to the media. “This is not transparent. HHS is trying to muzzle the media and hide the human tragedy that has resulted directly from the administration’s failure to enforce the law.”
HHS attached seven rules “in order to protect the safety and privacy of the children” for the media who come to the tour, according to an HHS invitation released by Bridenstine’s office:
– No recording devices will be allowed
– No questions will be allowed during the tour
– No interacting with staff and children at the shelter
– We ask that your questions be provided via email or phone after the tour to Kenneth Wolfe
– HHS ACF public affairs will provide answers to your follow up questions as quickly as possible
– We will provide photos of the facility after the tour
– There will be no on-site interviews by HHS staff before or after the tour, all inquiries go to Kenneth Wolfe
As for you, Mr. Bridenstine, just shut up! Go back to the facility, and refuse to be stopped at the entrance. We’ll hear from you after you’ve called the traitorous rent-a-cops’ bluff. You’re a U.S. Congressman, for goodness sakes… this is in your district… force them to let you in, or to arrest you. No more words… show that you have a spine and take action.
Walk up to the gate, and keep walking